Monday, July 11, 2011

damn you Google+

Crap. Google owns Blogger. Google came out with new social networking site, Google+ recently and I just got signed up for a Beta account yesterday. Noticed that without trying, I had some photo albums there, that Google somehow pulled thru feeds of mine that they own and decided to help me out by putting up some photo albums to me, sort of a house warming gift, I suppose, to welcome me to Google Plus. Well without reading the warning, I started deleting these albums, because I never put them there and they contained photos of my child, so I was feeling protective, when suddenly I realize that the fine print says "are you sure you want to delete these photos? doing so will delete them from all Google owned sites, including Blogger and several other sites, and will be irreversible."


What???


So I come over here and yes indeedy, all the photos I've uploaded in the nearly 6 yrs that I've been blogging are gone. This was supposed to be a tribute to all these years of mothering my girl and poof! the photo journal aspect is vaporized. Why the heck did they need to link it all like that? Why would the action on one Google site affect the content on other sites? Who would be expecting that? Kinda scary how much Google controls and can link together like that.


Ugh. Hope I can find these sweet photos still...

2 comments:

  1. Lizzie11:34 PM

    So much for the much acclaimed superior privacy of google+ Darn it, and hugs gal, I hope you find them too
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I know what you mean! I had the same annoyances but on a smaller level. When I tried to set the privacy level of my Picasa albums, it created a post on my "Wall" (or whatever they call it on Google+). Figuring I didn't need the clutter, I deleted the post-- only to discover that it deleted the custom privacy setting and reverted it to the original! Grrr!!! I have encountered a lot of frustrations with it and am definitely still unimpressed.

    by the way, I've never been a fan of the linkage of Picasa with Blogger-- even though I rarely use Picasa, the few times I do, it's so cluttered up because half my albums belong to my blogs!

    I'm so sorry that you lost your photos. Did you contact Google to see if they could maybe reinstate them from their backup servers somewhere? Good luck retrieving them!

    ReplyDelete