Saturday, February 19, 2011

purifying

What is it that cleanses our psyche
the way a long, hot shower
washes away the sweat from a hard run?
Sometimes it's a good cry
or months of crying
that washes away the residue left behind
from one experience to the next.
Some people shop,
shedding last year's skin
for the fashions of a new day.
Me, I move.
I pack it all up into boxes and put it away again
into new cupboards and closets and shelves,
touching each of the objects in my life,
one at a time,
deciding whether to keep it
and if so, where does it go now?
Transferring the dust
gathered from one chapter of my life
into the next,
watching it wash down the sink
in little gray drops
every time I wash my hands.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to hoping I don't have to keep moving in order to subconsciously redefine myself. In naming it publicly, I hope I can move on to new, less intense methods of self-discovery!

    ReplyDelete