Wednesday, November 16, 2005

babysitters and alone time

hmmm....i am by no means good at either of those things. i really WANT to be, and i am starting to see how much i really NEED to be, but it's not been my strong point, as a single mom. but i am just starting to get how much the breaks away from being a mom so greatly improve the resiliency and patience that it takes to BE a mom. even if it is to go to a preschool parents meeting to talk about her all night...it is still a break! and i know i need to create more time where i do something just for me, that has nothing to do with motherhood at all. i think this is crucial to my sanity and sustaining the level of mothering that I do now. Sophia, if you are reading this someday, please do know that it's only been a handful of times that i've even been away from you for a few hours. but i truly do want you to see me taking care of myself, which ultimately takes care of US better. i don't think a martyr truly serves anyone but themselves, and in the long run the martyrdom is a disservice to everyone, even the martyr. i grew up with that kind of mom and know you deserve a different role model from me. i also know i deserve it too.

so now, the hard part...manifesting the kind of support system in my life that will allow me to take these breaks. i need to increase my flow of friends and babysitters that i can fully trust will take as good care of Sophia as I would. each in their own way, both similar and unique to my way, to give stability & consistency in the way things are done, yet giving her some variety in the types of adult personalities in her life. i have to find those people here, because i left behind people like that in santa barbara. not sure what the logic in that was, but i had reasons at the time! i just have to either remember those reasons and re-connect with them, or decide to move back to where that source of support lies.

ahhh...no small task, but that's the task at hand!

3 comments:

  1. Heh. You're the most mega-dedicated mom I know. And yeah, you need some human-being time, for sure, and it does NOT diminish your love for your little girl, or your MegaMommy status!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really ok to move back to Santa Barbara, it really is a nice place. Of course, you could get a baby sitter and I could come up there an teach you how to snowboard? Am I flirting again?? You sound like an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santa Barbara is pretty nice, but what about this place in hawaii...

    ReplyDelete